- Nicholls-led LNP will introduce new laws to stop dodgy tow truck companies from ripping off motorists
- New laws will restrict how far your car can be towed from a private car park and set a cap on tow truck fees
- Law will ensure there is fair and visible signage in car parks so motorists aren’t duped into being towed
A Nicholls-led Liberal National Party will introduce new laws to Parliament which will stop dodgy tow truck companies from ripping off motorists.
LNP Leader Tim Nicholls said the Private Member’s Bill would seek to stop motorists from being exploited by tow truck drivers when towed from private property, like car parks.
“There are currently no laws to stop motorists from being charged exorbitant towing rates when towed from private car parks,” Mr Nicholls said.
“Our new laws will introduce a cap on fees that can be charged, restrict how far away your car can be towed without your consent and ensure signage is clear and visible to motorists.
“If elected, the LNP will put a 20km distance cap on towing and cap towing charges at $337.15, ensuring there is no discrepancy between being towed from private or public property.
“But if our laws are passed, there will be nothing stopping the Palaszczuk Government from getting on and adopting our policy sooner.
“Our laws will also allow complaints against a person or company to be considered when granting a tow truck licence to weed out dodgy characters and make sure there is a proper and transparent complaints management process.
“Anyone who breaches our new framework will be hit with a $4,876 fine – this will be a big economic disincentive for dodgy practices and the use of immoral tactics like spotters.”
Mr Nicholls said a future LNP Government would seek to re-introduce measures to prevent criminal gang members from being granted a tow truck licence.
“Our strong criminal gang laws specifically targeted the tow truck industry to prevent criminal gang members from working in the industry,” Mr Nicholls said.
“The Government wound back these laws, with no real alternative – if we win government we will bring them back.”
Mr Nicholls said the former LNP Government acted to weed out rogue operators in the tow truck industry.
“The do-nothing Labor Government has had three years to act on this and all we have seen from them is inaction,” Mr Nicholls said.
“The problems are clear – we need to stamp out the rogues and the intimidation in the industry and these laws are the first step in this process.
“No Queenslander should be ripped off by a dodgy tow truck operator and this is why the LNP has listened to concerned motorists, planned and acted.”
Tow Truck (Towing from Private Property) Amendment Bill 2017 - LNP Private Members’ Bill
What this bill does:
- Allows for a cap on fees that can be charged by tow truck companies
- Allows for restrictions on how far away your car can be towed without your consent
- Ensures appropriate signage is in place at private car parks where motorists can be towed, making car park owners/operators and tow truck operators accountable
- Allow complaints against a person or company to be considered when deciding to grant a tow truck licence, and
- Make sure there is a proper complaints management process for motorists, with published annual statistics from the Government
A breach of the LNP’s new laws will see tow truck operators hit with a $4,876 fine (40 penalty units)