Container Deposit Scheme - Better Queensland

Container Deposit Scheme

The Liberal National Party led the way and delivered a Container Deposit Scheme to clean up Queensland and better protect our environment.

The Problem

While Labor attempts to paint itself as the party that cares for the environment, its record shows a party big on rhetoric, but doing little in the way of real and workable policies that help protect our environment.

Labor was slow in following the lead of the other states and the LNP on a container deposit scheme to reduce litter.

Container deposit schemes have been tried and tested in over 40 jurisdictions around the world, including South Australia since 1977 and the Northern Territory since 2012.

The National Litter Index shows Queensland has the worst litter in Australia with 72 items per 1000 m2 – 41 per cent higher than the national average.

In states where a container deposit scheme has been introduced, more than 80 per cent of consumers return containers and redeem deposits while the remaining 20 per cent of unredeemed deposits help pay for the system to operate or are claimed by others.

Our Record

The LNP is committed to protecting and cleaning-up local areas. 

In government, the LNP implemented the $12 million Everyone’s Environment program to help community groups clean-up local waterways, parks and bushlands.

Our commitment to a container deposit scheme is the next step in protecting our environment right here at home.​

Delivering from Opposition

The Tim Nicholls-led LNP team led the way in delivering a container deposit scheme that refunds 10 cents for aluminium, glass and plastic drink containers returned for recycling either at ‘reverse vending’ machines or designated collection centres. 

With the Palaszczuk Labor Government adopting our policy, Queensland will have a more liveable community.

The Container Deposit Scheme will not only reduce litter and clean up our environment but also has the potential to create hundreds of jobs in Queensland’s recycling sector. 

Local charities, community groups and sporting clubs will also benefit from collecting containers and returning them. It’s estimated community groups could claim over $25 million from deposits under the scheme.

The LNP is committed to cleaning-up Queensland and better protecting our unique environment, not just for the health of our plants and wildlife, but also for the enjoyment of the growing number of tourists to our great state.

Part of our Plan to Build a Better Queensland

Container Deposit Scheme Shareable